One thing Italians are passionate about is food, all things food, the creating, sharing and eating. Did you know that most of the regions in Italy prepare food that is local to their area? That is typically why you will not see fish on a menu in Florence which is more well known for beef. Nada has some favorite recipes that have been shared on her tours and are family favorites. If you are a foodie or want to try something new, give this recipe a try. Now it may not be low fat or low carb but it is high on taste and a crowd pleaser! If you are feeling really adventurous try making your own homemade pasta.
Spaghetti alla Carbonara
- 1 Cup diced Pancetta (Pancetta is Italian bacon made of pork belly meat that is salt cured and spiced with black pepper and sometimes other spices, if you can't find it at your local grocery store try a specialty market or butcher or substitute bacon)
- ½ Cup grated Pecorino Romano (or Parmesan)
- Spaghetti pasta (try making your own!)
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 egg yolks + 1 whole egg
OPTIONAL : ¼ cup heavy cream
Heat Water to boiling and add salt, add pasta, cook until al dente or slightly firm. Sautee diced pancetta in heated pan with olive oil. Stir until it’s golden. While the pancetta is cooking, in a bowl, whisk the egg yolks, whole egg, the grated cheese, and pepper.
Pour in the pancetta (make sure it’s not too hot, otherwise it will cook the eggs) You may add the cream at this point if you wish and whisk to combine.
Pour the sauce over the pasta, toss to mix & serve!